Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Fashion Faux Pas?


Most people with at least a passing interest in fashion will know that many "fashion" people like to throw around a lot of rules. Some of the rules are incredibly out of date, and I don't think many people give them much thought (no white shoes after labour day, purse and shoes must match, only whores wear blush, ladies pinch) OK maybe not that last one, but you get the picture. For a super mainstream example check out the opening credits of TLCs "What Not to Wear" for an example of some of the "new" rules (no miniskirts after 35, bag and shoes do NOT need to match, suede is for summer too!) and the silly list goes on. I could write a whole other post about that crazy show, the things I love (Stacey & Clinton) and hate (the clothes) about it, but that would be....well frankly that would be really boring.


My point here is rules, and the fact that I don't like them. I suppose if you're not that into dressing yourself and find it a bit of a chore rules can be a good way to ensure you aren't walking around dressed like a clown, but for those of use who relish the idea of the mad dig through the closet to put together some sort of outfit, rules are just no fun.


So, with that being said, I'm putting this out there. Socks. With. Sandals.

Oh yeah, I know that's pretty much the grand slam of rules not to break, and I have to say I agree that 99% of the time it's a great rule. A grand rule. A rule to be set in stone. Especially for men. But there's a small exception, and I don't even know how to categorize it, but there's something about this fallish weather that makes chunky wooly cute stockings or socks look absolutely great with some high heeled chunky sandals. So there it is, take it as you will, but I think it's darn cute. In fact I wore it to our last vernissage and the fashion police did not arrest me, so I think I'll continue breaking as many fashion rules as I like.

All images except the one of me before our vernissage (obviously, it's in my home) are by the Facehunter

xo
Angie

2 comments:

Laura V said...

I have a pair of wild, vibrant-blue harlequin socks that I love to wear with bright orange sandals.

You can't stop me, fashion police!

The HQ Duo said...

Yeah! Don't let the man keep you down!